Jisc is pleased to announce that the UK ORCID Technical & Community Support Coordination work has commenced. This was a function that was promised as part of the Jisc UK ORCID consortium membership. It has taken us a little longer than expected to get this resource in place, but we are very pleased that we now have started this work.
As part of this support, Jisc has employed Monica Duke (0.6fte) and we have also contracted two consultancies – Clax and SeroHE – for additional support. They will work with the Jisc collections help desk and ORCID to provide coordinated support.
The work will broadly cover the following functions:
- Via phone, email, site visits and workshops, respond to technical support requests from research information management practitioners and developers in ORCID consortium member organisations. This will include supporting those building integrations using the ORCID API;
- Gather technical interoperability requirements across UK universities and, where appropriate, help implement developments or help to guide developments in key systems;
- Design, organise and facilitate UK ORCID user community events to provide a forum for networking, sharing of experiences and collaboration;
- Design, organise and facilitate ORCID hack days to enable developers in consortium member organisations to learn about ORCID development resources, to collaborate and to create new ORCID tools;
- Set up and manage an online facility to allow sharing of information and integration plans and coordination of implementation activities among group members;
- Refer UK users to existing appropriate documentation and resources provided by the ORCID organisation and, where appropriate, to create documentation and other tools such as decision trees to inform new and existing users.
In the first instance if you have any membership queries or technical queries (for existing members) please contact the Jisc collections helpdesk (firstname.lastname@example.org) and your queries will be routed to the appropriate person.
We are also planning our first event on 25th May and will be sending out a draft agenda for people to comment on. Please put this date in your diaries. This event will be open to Jisc ORCID consortium members and non-consortium members, but if there is high demand for spaces preference may be given to existing consortium members.